Reform UK candidate quits just days out from election

Andrew Learmonth

In an excoriating letter, Dr Tim Kelly said the party "suffers from the same pathology I came into politics to remedy."

"The promise of this movement was that we are not career politicians," he wrote. "Yet, the moment you step off script to offer actual substance, the support quietly disappears."

I've resigned from Reform UK and will continue my campaign in East Kilbride as an Independent.

My full letter to Lord @Malcolm_Offord👇

"How can I ask voters to trust my judgement while standing inside a party that will not trust theirs?" pic.twitter.com/gjq4kUMJgn

— Dr Tim Kelly (@DrTimothyKelly) May 3, 2026

Dr Kelly had faced media scrutiny over his criticism of the Covid-19 vaccine and the government's response to the pandemic.

Read more

Majority of Scots support renewable energy but also back drilling for North Sea oil

MSPs should put OBFA behind them - and help to make Scottish football safe again

Why has climate gone quiet in the 2026 Scottish election debate?

In his letter, the medic said candidates had been instructed by party HQ to stay off social media and focus on leafleting, an approach he described as "infantilising."

He added: "Reform has some good policies, but the problems facing this country are not, at root, problems of policy: they are problems of abandoned principle.

"They reach into our food, our medicine, the very institutions we're supposed to trust. We are told you have to play the Westminster game first and tackle these problems later. That is the trap."

Although he has quit the party, he will still be on the ballot paper as Reform UK's candidate.

Once a candidate has been validly nominated and the nomination deadline has passed, there is no legal mechanism to remove their name from the ballot paper.

In a tweet, Dr Kelly said he would continue his campaign as an independent.

He is the ninth Reform UK candidate to either quit or be dumped by the party during the Holyrood campaign.

Four pulled out shortly after being announced, while Stuart Niven was suspended after The Herald revealed he had been banned as a company director for funnelling Covid loans meant for his business into his personal account.

A further three were revealed to have dropped out after councils published their official lists of candidates.

Read more

SNP set to win Holyrood as Labour faces collapse, poll suggests

Russell Findlay: 'Conservatives could win at Holyrood' as he dismisses seat fears

UK facing constitutional shock in Scottish and Welsh elections, Stephen Flynn warns

Scottish Labour's deputy leader Jackie Baillie said: "This is now the ninth Reform candidate to either quit or stand down from this Scottish election campaign.

"Once again, Reform's campaign in Scotland has descended into an utter farce, proving that they are simply not competent to challenge the SNP.

"When even their own candidates do not believe in Nigel Farage and Lord Offord, why should the people of Scotland?

"It is absolutely clear that right across Scotland, the only way to boot the SNP out of office is by voting for Scottish Labour.

"If you want the SNP removed from power after 20 years of failure, Anas Sarwar is the only person capable of bringing that change."

Scottish Tory candidate in East Kilbride, Brian Whittle, said: "This sums up the complete chaos of Lord Offord and Reform UK's election campaign in Scotland.

"If Lord Offord can't keep his candidates united, then he cannot be trusted to stand up to the SNP.

"Pro-UK voters should unite around the Scottish Conservatives on their peach ballot paper in Thursday's election to help stop an SNP majority."

Reform has been approached for comment.

Source: https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/26075633.reform-uk-candidate-quits-days-election/