TikTok reportedly plans ‘immediate’ Sunday shutdown in the US if it’s banned
The US federal ban will go into effect Sunday without a Supreme Court intervention.
The US federal ban will go into effect Sunday without a Supreme Court intervention.
TikTok will shut down entirely in the US on Sunday without intervention from the US Supreme Court, unnamed sources have told Reuters. That would go beyond the ban’s requirement for app stores to stop offering downloads of the app, but not immediately halt use of it.
If TikTok shuts down, it will show users a pop-up message pointing them to a website with information about the ban, according to the outlet’s sources. The company will also reportedly let users download all of their data.
On Friday last week, a lawyer for TikTok said during a Supreme Court hearing that the app will “go dark” if the court doesn’t pause the ban. The court’s decision on the matter could come as soon as today, and a shutdown is one of the possible outcomes for TikTok, whose executives recently told employees were “planning for various scenarios,” as we reported yesterday.
More in: TikTok’s last stand: Supreme Court weighs ban as deadline looms
Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad Roommate
Disco Elysium’s spiritual successor can’t escape its phantoms
Elon Musk loses his case against Sam Altman
Musk v. Altman proved that AI is led by the wrong people
Microsoft is retiring Teams’ Together Mode
This is the title for the native ad
This is the title for the native ad